Welcome back! We have a new name!
The Center for Access and Assistive Technology is located on the first floor of the Siek Campus Center, room 130. When you get a chance, please stop by and see our state of the art, accessible facility!
Fall 2012 Extended Hours Continue
Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday: by appointment
The Center for Access and Assistive Technology would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back and to remind you of the services we provide to students, staff and faculty with disabilities at Hudson Valley Community College.
The Center for Access and Assistive Technology continues to have extended hours. Extended hours offer students, faculty and staff an opportunity to utilize our adaptive computer lab, receive training on the assistive technology, testing accommodations and provides evening students and faculty access to the Center for Access and Assistive Technology.
We are in the process of updating our publications – Center for Access and Assistive Technology brochure, Deaf and Hard of Hearing brochure, Reasonable Accommodations Handbook for Faculty and Staff, and Policies and Guidelines for Alternative Testing Services manual; please contact the Center for Access and Assistive Technology at ext. 7154 and we will mail them to you.
These publications provide helpful information for college faculty and staff to ensure access to college programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. The Reasonable Accommodations Handbook is not intended to be an all-inclusive guide, but hopefully will provide faculty and staff members with some practical suggestions for the instruction of students with various disabilities. We hope this handbook will increase your awareness of the difficulties faced by these students, and that it will answer questions of how to accommodate their disabilities without compromising their learning experience.
There has been an increase in the population of students who are diagnosed along the high end of the autism spectrum with the diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome. The CAAT has developed an Asperger Syndrome brochure, which outlines suggestions and strategies for faculty and staff and is available upon request. Please visit our website for information and video on Asperger Syndrome at www.hvcc.edu/CAAT/aspergers.html.
* We have updated the New Course Syllabus Disclosure Statement Fall 2012 Accommodations for Students with Disabilities. If you have not received the new updated syllabus via e-mail, please click here.
* Handicapped Parking
There currently are 101 handicapped spaces at the following locations:
- Parking Garage, 16 spaces
- North Drive New B-Lot, 14 spaces (throughout the entire lot)
- Behind Siek Campus Center, eight spaces
- North Drive Extension, four spaces (along side the Conway Ice rink)
- George Holliday Drive , eight spaces (south side of BTC)
- Marvin Library, four spaces
- Behind Brahan Hall, four spaces
- Behind Lang Building, 12 spaces
- C-Lot near Student Pavilion, two spaces
- Upper G-Lot/Stadium Classroom Building, two spaces
- North Drive Extension at Co-Gen Plant, one space
- Lapan Service Building, two spaces
- South Drive/Lower G-Lot for access to Joe Bruno Stadium, seven spaces
- E-Lot for access to the Joe Bruno Stadium, eight spaces
- Williams Hall, four spaces
- J-Lot for access to Cogan Hall and the Viking Daycare Center, four spaces
- Viking Daycare Center side entrance, one space
The Center for Access and Assistive Technology has seven electric scooters available for loan to students, staff and faculty based on individual needs and documented disabilities.
* Emergency Evacuation Chairs have been strategically placed throughout the entire campus buildings in the event of an emergency situation.
If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions on how we can continue to enhance the services and learning environment for students with disabilities, please do not hesitate to contact us. If you have any questions or concerns regarding testing policies, special scheduling or about accommodations for a student in your class or lab with a particular disability, please calls us at 629-7154 or TDD 629-7596. We would be more than glad to schedule a meeting with you and the student to discuss any concerns you may have.
Thank you for your continued support and cooperation. Have a great semester and remember we are here to work as a team!
Center for Access and Assistive Technology
Phone Number: 629-7154
TDD Number: 629-7596
Fax Number 629-4831
Director Center for Access and Assistive Technology & ADA Compliance Officer
Associate Director and Adaptive Technology Specialist
Norina Dowd, Office Manager
Donna Totaro, Coordinator for testing
Dawn-Marie Rung, Coordinator for Asset Placement Testing
Technical Assistants for Testing
Kathy Henry, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eloise Peduto, email@example.com
Annie Bevevino, firstname.lastname@example.org
Learning Disability Services
Marvin Library Lower Level, room 035
Jennifer Miller, Learning Disability Specialist
Doreen McGreevy, Technical Assistant